Friday, March 22, 2013

Spaghetti with Spinach Parmesan Balls


At a recent party, I could not believe which bite-sized appetizer left me hovering over a nearly empty plate, hoping no one would take note of my gluttony. This tasty treat was, of all things, vegetarian... and it didn't even have any dipping sauce! What has happened to me? I'm losing my way here a bit, but I'm obviously talking about these Spinach Parmesan Balls, or another version of them. I perused some recipes to duplicate and tweak this idea, combined a few together, eliminated seven tablespoons of butter from a popular version, and came to a very pleasing result. 

I decided to turn these little green gems into a meal by serving them simply with spaghetti, marinara, and some grated Parmesan. It was an absolutely delicious meal that I look forward to making again, this time with enough to freeze some leftover, um, balls.



Spinach Parmesan Balls

1 lb. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and excess liquid squeezed out
5 eggs
1 small onion, minced
1 cup grated Parmesan
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. Dijon mustard
1/2 t. dried oregano
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
2 cups Italian-stye Panko
3 T. margarine, melted

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Combine all ingredients, except melted butter, and mix well by hand.
Form mixture into 1" balls, and place on a baking sheet in a single, slightly spaced layer.
Brush balls with melted butter.
Bake for 20-25 minutes in the top half of the oven.
Allow to cool slightly, and serve with toothpicks as appetizer, or with spaghetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment